Virtual users in sendmail (and vacation/.forward support?)

I'm using sendmail with OpenLDAP integration to handle mail aliases and would like to support virtual user accounts (accounts are looked up in the LDAP server and mapped to a single local user with delivery via procmail). I'm not clear on how this is supposed to work, virtusertable seems to be designed to forward mail for a virtual host on to another system not deliver it locally. If anyone could provide some explanation or examples I would appreciate it.

Also, is anyone aware of a mechanism for supporting vacation messages and basic forwarding from LDAP? I'd like to provide an interface for my users to set an away message or forward their mail. It would be easy to write a quick web app to do this but I need the support in the MTA for it.

Thanks, Paul