How to make OpenLDAP use SASL for checking username

Hi all,

I have got OpenLDAP 2.1.22 and Cyrus-SASL 2.1.15 installation on FreeBSD
5.1 working without problems. I have now created the required SSL
certificates and this appears to work without problems as well. From the
command line I have been able to successfully authenticate over an SSL
connection with a SASL username and mechanism.

What I want to do next is to get the LDAP address book in Outlook 2002
to do the same but I can't get it to work. The problem appears to be the
format of the username. If I specify the username in Outlook to be just
the uid e.g. shunsley then it fails with invalid DN. If I specify the
full DN it works e.g. uid=shunsley,ou=user,dc=widget,dc=com.

I can specify just the uid for the username for IMAP and SMTP accounts
in Outlook and then configure Cyrus IMAP and Postfix to use the
saslauthd process to check against the LDAP directory. Can something
similar be done for authenticating LDAP connections.

Can anyone help,

Regards,

Shane