objectClass: nisObject or automount?

I'm sure this is a FAQ but I'm unable to find it on the website or
googling.

Should I be using the nisObject or the automount objectclass?

Both of them seem to be defined in RFC2307. Solaris wants to use the
automount objectclass but can be persuaded, Redhat will try both, Debian
instists on the automount stuff too. Irix will do whatever you tell it
to. Dont know about *BSD. Some people say the nisObject stuff is newer
others say that automount stuff is the way to go.... PADL migration
tools favour the nisObject schema...

please help

GREG

--