Re: LDIF compatibility

Bobby R. Cox wrote:

Are the v1.x ldif compatible with v2.x?

In general, yes; however, OpenLDAP 1.2 (and 2.0) did not enforce many checks that are required by LDAP (at least LDAPv3) specification, so in some parts, LDIF entries that were accepted by OpenLDAP 1.2 might be erroneous and thus get refused by OpenLDAP 2.1

I am having a heck of a time
importing an ldif from my current v1.2 to my newly built v2.0.

You may want to use OpenLDAP 2.1, which is the current stable
version and differs a bit from 2.0; otherwise you'll have to repeat
the process as soon as you find out you need 2.1 functionalities.

I created the ldif on the v1 server using ldapbrowser, because I believe v1 does not have slapcat ( I didn't find it ).

It's called ldbmcat

I then used slapadd to import the ldif file, but it keeps stopping with
an error when it reaches a blank line.

added: "dc=pmt,dc=org" (00000001)
added: "ou=People, dc=pmt,dc=org" (00000002)
slapadd: could not parse entry (line=26)

line 26 is the blank line after the first record.

I do not recall the reason, but this should mean the error was
within the entry that's right before line 26, but could not be
spotted at parse time (hence, the line count is incremented
to the first blank line).

Pierangelo.