RE: TLS or plain?

Yes, that's correct, and I share your need for precision Michael, but please,
this discussion has been done to death already. Use the mailing list

A search thru the archives on "tls;ssl;rfc" will show that this question
comes up at least 2-3 times a year, every year, and (surprise!) the answer is
still the same each time. It would be nice if we could avoid the unnecessary
traffic from here on out.

  -- Howard Chu