RE: deferring operation?

Most likely both a bad config and a resource shortage. You didn't mention
what hardware/software platform you're running on, or which version of
OpenLDAP you're using. With default settings for OpenLDAP 2.1.17, 438 threads
would consume about 5.25GB of RAM in stack space alone. I hope for your sake
that you're running on a 64-bit machine with much more memory than that.

  -- Howard Chu