Error code 17 when adding through JNDI

All,

I'm using JNDI to add  a set of aliases to LDAP. When I attempt to execute it I receive this error:

[LDAP: error code 17 - alias: attribute type undefined]

the DN for the alias is:

alias=tuser,ou=employees,ou=Sales,ou=xyzOrg,dc=cotelligent,dc=com

The only attributes that I'm adding are:

objectclass: alias

aliasedObjectName: uid=tuser,ou=employees,ou=xyzOrg,dc=cotelligent,dc=com

I've tried to add it with a dn that starts with uid= and receive this exception:

[LDAP: error code 65 - attribute 'uid' not allowed]

My core.schema is included in slapd.conf, and the definition for alias is:

objectclass ( 2.5.6.1 NAME 'alias' SUP top STRUCTURAL

            MUST aliasedObjectName )

Does anyone have any pointers as to how I should be doing this?

Thanks,

Steven Fines