Re: BDB versus LDBM backend

Today at 6:29pm, Jorge Ortiz Claver wrote:

> I'm trying to find the most optimal configuration for my directory
> server and I wonder what are the pluses and minuses for these two back ends.

Well, LDBM can be configured to use Berkeley DB or GDBM.  Please do
yourself a favor and do NOT use GDBM.  Unless you have a very small
directory, GDBM is going to hit it's filesize limit quickly (I think it
keeled over on me somewhere around 25000 entries) -- It is limited to a
2GB filesize, one of my substring indexes blew that.

The big difference between LDBM/Berkeley and BDB is the amount of
knowledge you have to have about the Berkeley DB to make it work well.
You can get away with knowing almost nothing and make LDBM/Berkeley
perform well.  I am still struggling to understand what I need to put
into the DB_CONFIG file to get BDB to work anywhere near the same level.

> Any warning or advice about these two types? Maybe a third one even better?

No, I don't know of a better backend than those two (for data that the
server actually holds).

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===