RE: BDB recovery after power outage

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Frank Swasey wrote:

> Today at 8:59pm, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
>
> > I'd maintain that there's doco enough. It needs reading and it needs the
> > mind of a Unix sysadmin, not an MCSA.
>
> I will have to disagree with you on that point.  There may be
> documentation enough, but the indexes are all messed up.  I have spent
> several hours pouring over the web pages at Sleepy Cat and get lost in
> the referrals from here to there and back again.
>
> > The problem is, who's to write the splendid doco that you'd like to see?
> > I understand that there's a new book out (O'Reilly), perhaps that would
> > fill the gap?
>
> You know, from my point of view, the documentation doesn't have to be
> splendid.  But I wish that just one of the people who keep saying that
> the BDB Backend is the way to go and it's so much better than
> LDBM/Berkeley would take the 20 to 30 minutes required to write down the
> answers to the following questions:
>
> 1) What is required to set up the BDB Environment optimally for OpenLDAP
> usage?
> 2) What is the daily process(es) that should be done to maintain the
> health of a BDB?
> 3) OMG the power went out!  To recover the BDB, I do?
>
> > Do hope that this isn't taken as a personal attack, it's not meant as
> > such. Just that nobody ever taught me Unix, I learned it through my own
> > curiosity. Same as Openldap.
>
> Nobody "taught" me unix either.  However, I find my self in the position
> of the proverbial one armed paper hanger.  I don't have enough time to
> go read the thousands of pages of documentation about any particular
> piece of software.  I need documentation that I can search quickly for
> what I need to know now.  For instance, when I am using a reference
> book, I never use the table of contents in the front of the book.  I
> always use the table of contents that is in the back of the book -- not
> my fault the publisher labelled it "index".

Lets step back for a moment.  OpenLDAP, like many other open source
projects, is headed by folks who donate their time and knowledge for the
development of the project.  It is only appropriate to be thankful or,
better yet, contribute and help with their efforts.  Usually, features
will be dictated by the developers' needs.  That includes documentation
and it is up to the community to fill this gap.  Unfortunately the current
written documentation may not be sufficient for some, but bits and pieces
are all there in written english and source code form.

If all of this is not good enough, you can always fix things with money.
Pay Howard (or someone similar to Howard) and I am certain he will provide
you with all your openldap needs and some.

--
Igor

PS. Some related DB_CONFIG links:
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/env_list.html