Re: Quoting Spaces in DN, again

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:22:55PM +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:

> > The bug haunts me again. How do You explain the following search result?
> > AFAIK the DN should simply not match...
> >
> > (same with cn=\ EMO...)
> >
> > urmel:/mnt/misc/ldap # ldapsearch -b 'cn=\20EMO,dc=addressbook,o=mehome'
>
> What exactly are you trying to do? Do you have DNs that you *know* have
> spaces as first character of the RDN, and are trying to find them? Do
> *all* the CNs (for example) have a space as first character of the RDN?
>
> In 2.1.17, ldapsearching for 'cn=\20frigg' gives the same result for me
> as 'cn=frigg', but not the same as 'cn=\ frigg'.

Since I am not quite shure right now how to specify a "spaced" attribute
within an LDIF file (other RFC), I'd like to have a positive test at first
that these DNs are distiguished at all (ldapadd tends to say "duplicate dn"
for my test node).

> In 2.1.17, ldapsearching for 'cn=\20frigg' gives the same result for me
> as 'cn=frigg', but not the same as 'cn=\ frigg'.

This is *really* strange, and I cannot reproduce Your result:

# base <cn=\ EMO,dc=addressbook,o=mehome> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# EMO, addressbook, mehome
dn: cn=EMO,dc=addressbook,o=mehome
givenName: EMO
[...]

> Which version of Openldap are you using? Is it Openldap at all? Are you

You embarrass me, Tony :-> Of course it is openldap-2.1.17.

> working with an existing directory, so that you *have* to do this?

To cite special agent Fox Mulder: "I want to believe", or better: to
understand.

And yes, there are circumstances that force me to understand this topic at
least to a certain depth.

- Marian