High Availability / Clustering

Ive read through most of the archives concerning high-availability options for openldap. Right now, we're trying to create make our ldap infrastructure highly-available, as well as load-balanced between three servers (more to be added later). From my research it seems like we have a few options:

1) Experimental Multi-Master: This seems to have a number of atomicity issues. Plus this doesn't really solve the problem with the ldap clients not appropriately using the second listed server if the first goes down.

2) Plain old Master + Multiple Slaves: Same second issue above, plus no high availability on writes.

3) Master + Slaves, Promotion of Slave if master goes down: Same ldap client not using second listed server problem as in 1) and 2) above, plus lots of issues with reclaiming Master status after failure.

4) 1 Master Server Cluster using shared storage: This seems like the only viable solutions. The problem is we need support for many servers connecting to one shared storage device, as well some sort of reliable locking mechanism thats compatible with openldap.

Has anyone successfully implemented 4) ? If so can you recommend any specific hardware and or software that works nicely with openldap?

Thanks,