Re: Scheme writing how-to

On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 11:12 PM, Aly Dharshi wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knew of a howto or a decent doc on how to
write some schemas, we have obtained an OID number from IANA and wish to
use it.

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin21/schema.html#Extending%20Schema

From the OpenLDAP 2.1 admin guide is a good starting point.  It
discusses potential ways to carve up your OID space for attributes,
objects, etc.  It discusses syntax and provides examples.  The
relevant standards are also referenced (primarily RFC 2252)

I recommend that you look at the way existing schemas work.  Pay
attention also to which ones are mostly retired, as they may be
examples of how Not to do things.

Matthew Backes
lucca@csun.edu