RE: Configuring Solaris 8 clients

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Wednesday, March 26, 2003 8:56 AM -0500 Igor Brezac <igor@ipass.net>
> wrote:
>

> > This is a bit too simplistic and it will not work on Solaris 9 until
> > ldap_cachemgr is started.  To make this setup complete you need to add
> > your domain to /etc/defaultdomain, /etc/init.d/ldap.client start and
> > restart nscd (/etc/init.d/nscd stop and then start).  nscd does not need
> > to run in order for this to work, in the long run you do want nscd
> > running.  For more check out:
> >
> > Solaris 9
> > http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-4077/6jd6blbdk?a=view
>
> Igor,
>
> On my Solaris 9 box, at least, running that command started up nscd and the
> ldap cache manager.  It has been running on my system for several weeks
> without problem.  It also created /etc/defaultdomain.

I stand corrected.  ldapclient will do all of this for you.  You do need
to cleanup a bit after it runs.  ldapclient restarts some services which
are not necessarily running (automounter in my case) and it installs a
default nsswitch.ldap which may need editing.  On Solaris 8 you have to do
this by hand; however, ldap_cachemgr is not required to run in order for
the ldap client to operate.  I do recommend getting solaris schema from
the links I mentioned earlier.  Unfortunately, automatic setup does not
work for both Solaris (8|9).  You need to patch openldap, or Sun needs to
fix the ldapclient and specify what attributes it needs from rootDN.

--
Igor