OpenLDAP segfaults with back-perl and DBI - BUG??

Hello,

I am having some trouble with back-perl and DBI and I am beginning to wonder
if it's a bug in OpenLDAP.  I have back-perl working and returning some
hard-coded test results back to OpenLDAP.  I finally found the format for
the returned results in the c source code for OpenLDAP, so I can now
correctly return entries, attributes & all.  So far everything was working
well, until....

I added the code to use DBI and connect to mysql.  As soon as the connection
attempt is made, OpenLDAP segfaults.  This same connection code works in a
stand-alone perl program run from the command line:

 sub init
{
 print STDERR "PERL: Init method\n";

 # Connect to MySQL
 $dbname = "main_db";
 $hostname = "199.191.85.35";
 $username = "myusername";
 $password = "mypassword";
 $dsn = "DBI:mysql:database=$dbname;host=$hostname";
 $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $username, $password) or print STDERR "PERL:
Mysql Connect Error: " . DBI::errstr;  # This line causes the segfault

 if (defined $dbh) {
  return 0;
 }
 else {
  return 1;
 }

}

The output from slapd -d -1 looks like:

-- (snip) --
1.2.840.113556.1.4.804 (integerBitOrMatch): matchingRuleUse: (
1.2.840.113556.1.4.804 NAME 'integerBitOrMatch' APPLIES (
supportedLDAPVersion $ mailPreferenceOption ) )
slapd startup: initiated.
PERL: Init method
Segmentation fault

Anyone have any ideas?  Bug in OpenLDAP??  This has really got me stumped!
I was so close to being done with this project too!  (sigh) :-(