Re: new user, question about authentication

I wouldn't do that. You want the local files to work otherwise you will almost certainly kick yourself out at some point.

I don't have much time to dedicate to your problem but setting authconfig to use both MD5 passwords in local files and ldap with the change mentioned in the previous email worked for me. I suggest that you look at the pam_ldap list as the openldap list is somewhat off topic for this list.

schu

jacob walcik wrote:
i've run authconfig, and on the first screen selected nothing but Use LDAP, set the server, and the base DN, then on the second screen, i have Use Shadow Passwords, Use MD5 Passwords, and Use LDAP Authentication selected. i hit okay, and it stops nscd.

then, i edited /etc/nsswitch.conf to put ldap at the top of the pecking order for authentication.

when i go to edit /etc/pam.d/system-auth, i don't have the line you mention below. the closest thing i have is:
account required /lib/security/pam_unix.so

if i change that to:
account    required    /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

i can't log in at all. not with users that exist in ldap or those that don't (which i need to be able to do. i want root to be a local account on each machine, not one in ldap).

here's what my system-auth file looks like the commented line is the one added by me, i just commented out the one above it as opposed to removing it):

auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account required /lib/security/pam_unix.so
#account required /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore service_err=ignore system_err=ignore] /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

password required /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
password required /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so