How to return attributes from back-perl

Ok, I've managed to get some database connectivity and communication working with back-perl.  However, I cannot seem to figure out how to return text attributes (cn:foo, sn:bar,etc) for a given object.  I am working with the search method in the perl module and I am returning the @match_entries array back and getting a list of DNs.  But, how do individual text attributes come into play?  Do they get added as items to the @match_entries array also?  If so, what is the syntax?

I tried a-few combinations, but the slapd debug output complains there is no dn associated with them and they do not show up in the search results.  If someone could provide a syntax example that would be very helpful!

Thanks!