Listing /home dir very slow

Hi folks,

i've a problem that maybe some one already solved. We authenticate several
users with OpenLDAP 2.0.27 + Berkeley DB.
If I execute the command

$> ls -l /home

the output takes some minutes to list about 50 entries. This is because each
directory belongs to different user which has to be resolved.

The command:

$> ls /home

works as expected.

After several trials I nuked the ACLs and the long listing started to work
again. This sounds a bit strange because many other "heavy" requests are
correctly executed.
I think I should shrink the ACLs where possible but ... do you think that
the problem can be solved in a more direct way. The nss_ldap libs are the v
189 and maybe an update may help ...

Thank you anyway.
Bye
Walter