Re: LDAP and DNS

tir, 2003-02-18 kl. 10:13 skrev bondpaper:

> I'm wondering if anyone can explain what's happening when I run an
> strace on the following command:
>
> ldapadd -W -D "cn=Manager, dc=stiller, dc=xyz, dc=com" < testldif.ldif,
>
> and I see 3-4 attempts at polling 'localhost.xyz.com' (which adds a
> substantial delay), and which eventually converts to simply 'localhost'.
>
> My /etc/hosts file has:
> 127.0.0.1 still.xyz.com localhost

Very probably doing a 'gethostbyname()' and can't find
localhost.xyz.com, which is probably what 'uname -n' returns.

When it can't find that, it goes to /etc/hosts.

You mentioned a whole lot of files, you forgot /etc/nsswitch.conf (if
you have it). I bet it contains a line: "hosts: dns files"

Why not change /etc/hosts to read:
"127.0.0.1 localhost.xyz.com localhost"

Or change your host's name to "still.xyz.com" (if you have Linux, do a
'grep -r still' in /etc/sysconfig, if you have something else you could
be better off just changing /etc/hosts).

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw