LDAP and DNS

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can explain what's happening when I run an strace on the following command:

ldapadd -W -D "cn=Manager, dc=stiller, dc=xyz, dc=com" < testldif.ldif,

and I see 3-4 attempts at polling 'localhost.xyz.com' (which adds a substantial delay), and which eventually converts to simply 'localhost'.

My /etc/hosts file has:
127.0.0.1 still.xyz.com localhost

my /etc/ldap.conf file has:
host 127.0.0.1
base dc=stiller, dc=xyz, dc=com

my /etc/openldap/slapd.conf file has:
database ldbm
suffix "dc=stiller, dc=xys, dc=com"
rootdn "cn=Manager, dc=stiller, dc=xyz, dc=com"
rootpw secret
directory /var/lib/ldap
index objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber,memberUid	eq
index cn,mail,surname,givenname	  eq,subinitial

As an aside, I see a few sample URI's in the /etc/ldap.conf file as well (they're commented out) - would it be better to use one of these, and if so, are there any other configuration files I need to adjust in order to use it?

One other question - if I'm not using simple authentication (with the -x command line option), is it necessary to create a server certification in order for SASL to work?

Thanks for any help.

Tom