Re: Authentication to LDAP Server Works Only If Server In Debug Mode

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 17:41, Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having a strange problem in trying to run a small LDAP server,
> mainly for serving contacts for Ximian Evolution. I'm having trouble
> authenticating myself, but only when I'm not running the server in debug
> mode. If I run it in debug mode, authentication works fine but without
> it, authentication fails.
>
> I'm using OpenLDAP version 2.0.25 from Red Hat 8.0.
>
> I've already got another server with essentially the same setup working
> without any authentication problems for another domain. I've tried
> recreating the database but that doesn't help. The authentication
> problems occur from both evolution and ldapadd. Start the server with
> debug and it works fine. No debug no work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> tjb

In answering my own question, it turned out to be file system
permissions. In the course of chasing various problems, I'd run slapd in
debug mode as root, which caused some of the database files to become
owned by root. When running normally, as ldap, it couldn't read these
mis-owned files which caused all the problems.

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                                        |
| Baker Consulting                     email: tjb@BakerConsulting.com |
| 90 Gile Road                         http://www.BakerConsulting.com |
| Nottingham, NH 03290                                                |