Re: How can I make MS-windows use openldap to authenticate the login?

Shi Jin wrote:
But although it may seem obvious I
could not find a way to make our MS-windows machines
to use ldap as their authentication. Could anybody
tell me how to do that?
We have Win-2k and Win-Xp machines. Do we need to
install  any new software?

I don't believe it's possible to have users on W2K/XP authenticate directly against a directory other than ActiveDirectory. I think what you're looking for is Samba. Samba will provide the Linux side of things for the Microsoft network protocols (SMB, NetBIOS) and will authenticate against OpenLDAP. There are several how-to's available... google for "samba ldap".

HTH

Brenda
http://opensource.theotherbell.com