Re: OpenLDAP 2.1.12 problems with back-bdb ; slapd does not start

> Hi,
>
> i'm currently planing to update my LDAP Server from
> version 2.0 to 2.1.
> I build rpms for db-4.1.25 and openldap-2.1.12.
> Distribution is Redhat 7.2.
>
> The RPMs are compiled with the following options
> on a Redhat 7.2 build system with installed development
> tools.

> ../dist/configure \
>         --prefix=/usr \
>         --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-rpc \
>         --enable-tcl --with-tcl=%{_libdir} \
>         --enable-cxx --enable-test \
>         --disable-largefile
>
> and OpenLDAP with following options:
> ./configure \
>         --prefix=/usr \
>         --libexecdir=/usr/sbin \
>         --sysconfdir=/etc \
>         --localstatedir=/var/opt \
>         --enable-syslog \
>         --enable-proctitle \
>         --enable-local \
>         --with-cyrus-sasl \
>         --with-threads \
>         --with-tls \
>         --enable-slapd \
>         --enable-aci \
>         --enable-cleartext \
>         --enable-crypt \
>         --enable-dynamic \
>         --enable-lmpasswd \
>         --enable-spasswd \
>         --enable-modules \
>         --enable-bdb \
>         --with-bdb-module=static \
>         --enable-ldbm \
>         --with-ldbm-api=berkeley \
>         --enable-monitor \
>         --with-monitor-module=dynamic \
>         --enable-perl \
>         --with-perl-module=dynamic \
>         --enable-slurpd \
>         --enable-shared=yes \
>         --disable-sql \
>

> On the build Host slapd runs.
>
> But on the Target Systems it can't create the bdb database.
> Here's the output of "slapd -d 256":
>
> # slapd -d 256
> bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.1.25: (December 19,
> 2002)
> bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
> bdb(dc=my-domain,dc=com): write: 0xbfffd830, 8192: Invalid argument
> bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: Invalid argument (22)
> backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (22)
> bdb(dc=my-domain,dc=com): txn_checkpoint interface requires an
> environment configured for the transaction subsystem
> bdb_db_destroy: txn_checkpoint failed: Invalid argument (22)
> slapd stopped.
> connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
>

> What is an "environment configured for the transaction subsystem" ?

I don't remember all the details by heart; in any case,
if you don't know that, you definitely need to take a
beer, sit comfortably and read Berkeley's db documentation
carefully.  It will take a while, but it'll be worth.

P.M.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it