Re: Anyone on this list patient with stupid questions?

Good morning, Ian, thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if, for a moment, you could pretend you are talking to someone
who is really, really stupid, who is NOT a ldaplander, and who comes from a
planet other than Sysadministratia.

> What does the output of ldd on your slapd binary say?
The output of the ldd, eh?

> You should be able to find your slapd binary under as servers/slapd/slapd.

A search shows a slapd binary to be in /usr/bin. The search also points to files
that I thought I had deleted, one which was in ldap/servers/slapd/.

> Have you tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH or its equivalent on your flavor
> of Unix?

I have been trying to follow the installation instructions, including those when
I run ./configure --help, and some directions I found from a Google search.

I set my environment:

CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/bdb/include
LDDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/bdb/lib

and exported both variables before running ./configure. That is how I understand
to do it on a RedHat Linux 8 system.

Also, I did run 'make veryclean' before setting the environment and running
'./configure --enable-crypt --enable-phonetic --enable-bdb
--with-bdb-module-static', then 'make depend', then 'make', and finally 'make
test', which (sigh) got me the same errors.