looking for text-based ldap utility

Wondering if anyone knows of a text-based utility that would allow entry of
search filters and display the results, along the lines of Sybase isql or
Oracle sql-plus.  Yes I know I can use ldapsearch but I am looking more for
something that will let me connect and authenticate once and then let me
send multiple queries to the directory interactively.  Ideally I could set
the desired search base and attributes and then submit varying filters
repeatedly.

The ability to do modifies/adds/deletes would be a plus but not required.

Allan