Re: Samba-LDAP PDC

OK, some more research has turned up some interesting stuff. I've been using the Mandrake article to get things set up. To whit: http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/ldap-auth.php

The article specs out a good setup and how to use the migration tools to migrate all of your old Linux user info. That's kool, but what is even better is that the article mentions that after performing the activities mentioned one need only use

smbpasswd -a [username]

to make additional changes to the individual user records to make them samba compatible! :-) Now this would mean changeing passwords on each individual user BUT, if one were really tricky, one might change one account, note the differences and then export it to an LDIF. Next you might write a script that takes the passwd.ldif created by the migration scripts and makes the requisite changes *before* migrateing it to LDAP! :-) That way if you have a large user-base you don't have to kill yourself by changeing each user's password.