OpenLDAP, Java/JNDI, and wildcards getting quoted

Hi,

I'm somewhat new to OpenLDAP and JNDI (on Java).

The problem I'm having, is that my application, when issuing wildcard queries, appears to be having the wildcard character ("*") quoted by the time it reaches the OpenLDAP server.

For example, if my JNDI application calls:

ctx.search("", "myAttr=jon*doe");

Then the backend processes the query as if it here:

conn=5 op=1 SRCH base="ou=People,dc=netmeme" scope=1 filter="(&(myAttr=jon\2Adoe))"

The asterisk being quoted into "\2A". I can see this by running OpenLDAP from my console with debugging turned on.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. It feels like a JNDI problem but I can't find anything anywhere in the JNDI docs dealing with quoting, or how to turn it off.

I've also used the "Attributes" style of JNDI's ctx.search(), rather than the straight String approach, hoping that it might handle this better, but it doesn't.

Thank you,

Bryan