RE: Newbie SASL Question...

This was something that stumped me for a while, too. It becomes quite
clear how this works only once you've done it before.

Since you have compiled openldap with sasl support, all you need to do
now in install the sasl mechanisms (shared libraries) and restart
openldap. Openldap will find them on its own and make them available to
you. If you query the DSE for supportedSASLMechanisms and nothing is
found, it means openldap cannot find these libraries (i.e. they either
don't exist or they are not where openldap is looking).

For example, if you choose to compile and install SASL (or SASL2) with
the digest and plain mechanisms. You would find the shared libraries
(libdigestmd5, and libplain) in /var/lib/sasl or /var/lib/sasl2 (or
possibly /usr/local/lib/sasl) depending on your SASL configuration.

Hope this helps.

Sasha