Configuring dual root service

Hello,

I am currently setting up LDAP with an aliased base; the base DNs are
	o=OpenFortress,c=nl
	dc=openfortress,dc=nl
Just keeping everybody happy; and so far, it's all fine.

A problem occurs when I need to refer "up".
Queries for c=nl or c=xx should go to ldap.surfnet.nl, who handle c=xx.
Queries for dc=nl or dc=xxx should go to root.openldap.org.

I can imagine setting up a last backend to mimic root.openldap.org:
	backend dnssrv
	suffix dc=nl
	suffix dc=com
	suffix dc=org
	suffix dc=us
and so on, for a long while; then if no dc=xx ending is found, a normal
referral could go to ldap.surfnet.nl to handle X.500 queries.

But this feels weird.  I must be doing something wrong.
Or did I hit a brick wall?  If so, I've got some ideas to resolve it.

Cheers,
Rick van Rein.