openldap, jsse problem

I have seen messages in the archives about problems with SSL session
resumption and OpenLDAP.  One messages said that the JSSE from IBM's
sdk worked while sun's did not.

Our problem is SSL connections from Java apps that hang.  What I did
not see mentioned in the archives is that we've found that if we are
using OpenSSL 0.9.6c with OpenLDAP we don't have this problem, but we
do with any other version of OpenSSL.  Using IBM's JSSE did not make
any difference.

Has anyone found a way to get JSSE talking reliably to
OpenLDAP/OpenSSL with later versions of OpenSSL?  We are using
OpenLDAP 2.0.21

Thanks,

Allan