Re: Global Address Book (take II)

>OK, I've left this one out here for a couple of days now with no
>implemented a global address book.  This would seem to suggest that

Yep.

>either I've asked a question that is out of line on this list or that

It really is a general LDAP question that doesn't have much to do
specifically with OpenLDAP.

>there is some other reason for it not to be an article of interest.
>As I apparently have none, I could use a clue in this regards. ;-)

ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf

>>I've got authentication based on LDAP working and I've got SSL/TLS
>>working also.
>>Thing is that there are two major things that LDAP is used for

I can think of more than two.

>>other is as a global directory service.

If you've done authentication in the DSA you've probably constructed a
global address book (at least of all users) already.

>>I would feel like I was missing out if I didn't try both. ;-) I've not
>>had much luck so far in getting this to fly.
>>Gimme a hand with this and I'll see that it goes into the FAQ-O-Matic.
>>It doesn't currently seem to be there.

If "objectclass: person" objects exist, you have an address book.  There
isn't really any  magic here.

>>dn: cn=John Test, mail=testuser@testdomain.com
>>objectclass: person
>>... and so the question is "Where do I go from here?"

Add more of the above objects.

>>I obviously need to insert the information but where is a good place and
>>how should I go about doing it?
>>I could put it under "dc=microverse,dc=net" I've also considered putting
>>it under the user information so that
>>each user could have his or her own individual address book. I could

Sure,  out can create objects below user objects. Look at Turba at
horde.org for a good example of an app that works this way.  Also
discussed in the above PDF file.

>>called "dc=Addressbook" or something. If it is just a matter of

If so you've created a pretty wierd name space if you ever want to
interoperate with another organizations DSA.

Just drop them under ou=People, they are people after all.