Re: stripping binaries

I ended up putting a link called "strip" to /bin/true in a directory before the real strip in the path

From the configure script it looks like the STRIP env variable should be honoured but I set "STRIP=:", "STRIP=/bin/true" but the binaries are still stripped at install.

I think the problem is that the strip arguement "-s" for the install program is hard coded in all Makefile.in's.

eg from slapd's Makefile.in...

 $(LTINSTALL) $(INSTALLFLAGS) -s -m 755 \
                slapd$(EXEEXT) $(DESTDIR)$(libexecdir)

if it was something like...

$(STRIP) slapd$(EXEEXT)
$(LTINSTALL) $(INSTALLFLAGS) -m 755 \
                slapd$(EXEEXT) $(DESTDIR)$(libexecdir)

that would allow overriding the strip executable with something like /bin/true or something, since configure already looks for the STRIP env var.

--Kervin

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
I wrote:

Kervin Pierre writes:

Is there a flag to not strip binaries during building?

env LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure

Oops, forget that.  I didn't notice the "not":-(

Anyway, the binaries are not stripped during building, but during
installation.  You can install non-stripped version by doing 'cp' by
hand after 'make install'.  I wish there was a better way.