space in filter?

Hi there,

I am new to the list, since I just starting setting up and using OpenLDAP some weeks ago. Current setup is openldap2-2.0.12-33 (latest version available as rpm by Suse for 7.3) on Suse 7.3.

Most things I need seem to run fine, Samba authenticates against LDAP, my only problem I have is a commercial application sending a request for group membership authentication like this:

[output from starting using /usr/lib/openldap/slapd -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -d 255]

[...]
filter: (&(objectClass=posixGroup)    #line-break by me...
(memberUid=uid=hofmann9,ou=Users, dc=medien,dc=uni-weimar,dc=de))
[...]

Please notice the leading space before "dc=medien,dc=..."

This leads to the fact that an entry like the following is not found, since there is no such space before dc=medien,...:

dn: cn=CMS Administrator, ou=Groups, dc=medien,dc=uni-weimar,dc=de
gidNumber: 1000
memberUid: uid=hofmann9,ou=Users,dc=medien,dc=uni-weimar,dc=de
objectClass: posixGroup
cn: CMS Administrator

My questions are the following - I have googled and checked this lists archive but have not found the answers - all pointers to rtfm are welcome:

- Is such a search request considered valid, or should there be no such spaces before the search base entry? Reading RFC 2254 did not help me very much on this...
- Should then OpenLDAP still find an entry as shown above? Would an update help me?

I try to keep the installation of this server as close to Suses standard rpms as possible to facilitate managebility, which is why I have not yet updated to the current stable (?) 2.0.25, especially as I would like to know "whose fault it is"... :)

Thanks in advance for all comments,

kind regards from Germany,

tobi... :)

Dipl.-Ing. Tobias Hofmann   Bauhaus-Universitaet Weimar  D99423 Weimar
Professur fuer Graphische Datenverarbeitung      Projekt medienquadrat
SnailMail:  Bauhaus-Universitaet  Weimar,  Fak. Medien,  D99421 Weimar
Location:     D99423 Weimar     Karl-Haussknechtstr. 7      Zimmer 111
                Fon: ++49-(0)3643-58-3780  Fax : -3701
          e-mail: mailto:tobias.hofmann@medien.uni-weimar.de