RE: performance tuning issue

back-bdb provides very few perf-tuning config options itself because the
Berkeley DB library provides quite a wide range of tuning features. You
should study the Berkeley DB documentation.

> Any compiler options to tweak?

Probably not, but every platform is different. Look in your platform's
compiler documentation.

> Any reading material I should look into?

slapd-bdb(5)
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/am_conf/cachesize.html
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/am_misc/tune.html
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/transapp/tune.html
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/log/config.html

> In general, any advise on tunning openldap?

It's generally accepted that oak barrels provide superior results for tunning
applications.

  -- Howard Chu