Re: encoding problems

At 05:00 AM 2002-08-24, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
>On Saturday 24 August 2002 00:19, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>>
>> I don't see this reference as being relevant to Raffaele's
>> problem... since a search request cannot be expressed by
>> LDIF.
>>
>> Raffaele is expecting entries to match the assertion but the
>> assertion is being evaluated to False or Undefined.  Given
>> Raffaele is using custom schema, that's likely where the
>> problem is.
>>

>The problem accurs on a self made atribute wich uses the octetSting syntax so
>it should be able store all chars, right?

An octetString, as the name suggests, is restricted to a
sequence of octets.

>But why can't ldap compare that to a normal string?

Comparing two different data types, in absence of a
specification on how to cast values to a common data
type, makes little sense.  I know of no specification
which details how to case a directoryStrings and
octetStrings to a common data type.

Kurt