Re: ACL issues

Ah, that's the other thing I meant to mention: it's always a "no such
object."

You don't happen to be replicating? ...  If so, try shutting it off.

Otherwise, are you sure the object and all it's parents exist
in the DB?  If working from the command line, try the ldapmodify
as the ROOTDN, and then as the USERDN, and see what happens.

Start slapd with "-d 255" and I'll be OK to glance at the output.
(although I'm just about out the door) ... You can snip all the
"ber_dump" stuff if you're security paranoid (plaintext passwords
will be in there!)