Please tell me I have something configured wrong...

I have a groupOfNames object and I am adding members to the group.  I noticed that I can any DN to the "member" attribute, even if the DN doesn't exist.  For example, I added "cn=fred,dc=example,dc=com" as a "member" of my group.  My suffix is not "dc=example,dc=com" and I don't have an object named "fred" anywhere in my database.  I tested adding a string linke "nothing" and it failed because it didn't follow the syntax rules.  I could however add "cn=nothing" and it worked.

Is there a way to make OpenLDAP verify that the DN that is being added is valid and fail the operation if it is not?

Thanks.
Tony