RE: Uid/Gid Question

Store the current max UID in the directory itself, use a single modify
request with
delete <old value>
add <new value>
to update it. Since the modify is atomic this operation will only succeed
if the supplied <old value> matches the one currently in the directory. No
need for app-level locks, but you may have to retry a few times if multiple
clients are updating at once. (That doesn't seem like a realistic concern
to me though.)

  -- Howard Chu