Corrupt index files

Good day,

We're running 2.0.21 on a number of Redhat 7.2 machines (installed via Red
Hat RPM).

I've noticed on a couple of occasions that the index files appear to go
corrupt, yielding bad results on searching.  The problem goes away if the
index file in question is removed and recreated with slapindex.  It's not
restricted to any one machine and seems to just happen sporadically.

I recall reading about something similar on the mailing list awhile back,
but the "Search" function for the openldap-software mailing list on
OpenLDAP's site currently always returns 0 results regardless of what I type
in.   I found a few non-mailing list messages via Googling- some hinted that
this was fixed in a new version of Berkely DB, some that hinted that this
was fixed in 2.0.22, but nothing conclusive.  So, please bear with me if
this has already been discussed here, as I have tried very hard to find

I've defined the database type as "ldbm", but all of our files are ".gdbm"-
I'm assuming that the database backend type is ldbm.  We have version 3.2.9
of Berkely DB installed (the version that comes with Red Hat 7.2) which is
what I'm assuming is getting used for the backend.

Has this been repaired in a more recent version of the backend or the
server?  Upgrading would be a considerable amount of testing and work on all
of the servers, so I'd like to avoid it unless a problem has been identified
with the versions we have now (not trying to be lazy, I just don't want to
possibly introduce a new problem that blows up a bunch of servers since we
use LDAP for authentication and the system is working mostly-fine now).
There is an entry in the changelog for 2.0.22 that hints that this may have
been fixed in that version...

Is there anything else that I could supply to help with this?

Thanks in advance for everyone's time,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP