Re: Corrupt index files

Darren Gamble wrote:

> Good day,
>
> We're running 2.0.21 on a number of Redhat 7.2 machines (installed via Red
> Hat RPM).
>
> I've noticed on a couple of occasions that the index files appear to go
> corrupt, yielding bad results on searching.  The problem goes away if the
> index file in question is removed and recreated with slapindex.  It's not
> restricted to any one machine and seems to just happen sporadically.
>
> I recall reading about something similar on the mailing list awhile back,

That was probably me.  I installed Berkeley DB 3.3.11 (now in Red Hat
7.3) and rebuilt the source RPM for openldap-2.0.21 after removing the
"--with-ldap-api=gdbm" configure directive.  It then uses Berkeley DB
automatically.  To upgrade you'll have to dump and restore your LDAP
database since the file formats are incompatible.  You can minimize the
impact by running a read-only LDAP server on a copy of your database
(preferably on another machine).  If you do this on the same machine
make sure you use the --noscripts option when upgrading or the RPM may
restart your LDAP server and then you'll be dead in the water until you
finish restoring the database.  You'll have to run ldconfig by hand
after upgrading the RPM with --noscripts.
John Dalbec