Re: ldapmodify - deletion of related attributes

At 01:18 PM 7/20/02 +0200, you (Tony Earnshaw)  wrote:

>> ldap_modify: Undefined attribute type
>>  additional info: objectClass, uniqueMember: attribute description
>>  contains inappropriate characters
>
>I wouldn't know the exact cause - but ldap v3 at least, which you are
>using, says that you cannot have spaces in attribute entries without
>escaping them (source Adam Williams's ldapv3.pdf).
>
>So, do it all again, this time without spaces.

Thanks, this got me on the right track.
In fact in this case there is no need to specify all the attributes to be
deleted. That was what I was believing (wrongly). Having both
attributes on the delete : objectClass, uniqueMember line was working
in the add case because of some chance event. I think now it's totally
unsupported syntax. In fact, it's necessary to specify *one*
of the attributes that should be deleted.

Either

delete: ObjectClass
uniqueMember : <dn>
objectClass : groupOfUniqueNames

or

delete: uniqueMember
objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames
uniqueMember: <dn>

are doing the trick nicely with existing code.
Problem solved, sorry for disturbing everyone and
thanks again.

Gerard Patel