Re: Berkeley DB 4.0

Em Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 04:55:32PM +0200, Roland Muecke escreveu:
> >checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb4)... no
> >checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb)... yes

I once had this problem and it was related to a little mess
regarding these libraries.
There are now at least 5 (FIVE) types of DB libraries on a
tipical GNU/Linux system:
- gdbm
- db1
- db2
- db3
- db4

Some installations choose a "default" DB library and make a
libdb.so symlink and a /usr/include/db.h symlink pointing to,
for example, /usr/include/db3/db.h.
You may have libdb-4.0.so or something like that, so that
linking with -ldb4 won't work, but it will find libdb.so which
is pointing only God knows where to.

I'm going to remove this "default db" concept from my system and
patch programs as necessary to include/use a specificly chosen DB.
For example: want db3? Link using -ldb3 and /usr/include/db3/db3.h.