From: adelste@netscape.net [mailto:adelste@netscape.net]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 8:58 PM
To: simon.thornton@swift.com; openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: OpenLDAP + Microsoft Outlook

Simon, great information for perforamnce improvement.

Do you think this would speed up searches on a single OpenLDAP directory
with 50,000 + users?

How could one get "display all" to improve to let's say 15 seconds?

Can "display all" be achieved in Microsoft's LDAP services without clicking
on find and then doing a search?

Also, to answer a question that started this string, I don't know anything
that deals with Microsoft that's "open source" in this area. Do you?

Thanks very much,

Tom

Simon Thornton <simon.thornton@swift.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The actual search string used by LDAP service in Outlook can be found in
the registry and
>looks like the following:
>
>    (&(mail=*)(|(mail=%s*)(|(cn=%s*)(|(sn=%s*)(givenName=%s*)))))
>
>This is located on my system (W2K) under:
>
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
>Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Microsoft Outlook Internet
>Settings\a27d8e6a79dd0b489277326299b681de
>
>Dunno if this is a common CSID amongst systems but try searching for the
name of your LDAP
>server and look for the above string.
>
>By default the query isn't very efficient, a little tuning can improve
performance
>dramatically. As you observed it does generate a lot of traffic due to the
multiple search
>items.
>
>You can always widen the search by inserting other filter statements. e.g.:
To search the

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/