RE: OpenLDAP + Microsoft Outlook

The actual search string used by LDAP service in Outlook can be found in the registry and
looks like the following:

This is located on my system (W2K) under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Microsoft Outlook Internet

Dunno if this is a common CSID amongst systems but try searching for the name of your LDAP
server and look for the above string.

By default the query isn't very efficient, a little tuning can improve performance
dramatically. As you observed it does generate a lot of traffic due to the multiple search

You can always widen the search by inserting other filter statements. e.g.: To search the
telephoneNumber and postal address, you would change the search to:

Or, search the DN as well:

This string is set during installation in the file MAPISVC.INF, which is

	C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT

On my system, or part of the installation tree if you did an administrative install of
office to a file server.

Simon Thornton