Problem with PAM and LDAP

Hi all,

after trying to get the 2.1 version to work and having absolutely no
success on a redhat system I downloaded the last 2.0 version, which
immediatedly worked with sendmail.

Now I´m trying to enable pam to use ldap. According to some quite good
documents I set up nss_ldap and pam_ldap, made the appropriate settings
in /etc/pam.d/system-auth.

When I try to login I get a short "user unknown to the underlying
authentication system"
the the login prompt reappears. When I set debugging to 256 I could see that
most
things seem to worl fine, except a continuously appearing line that tells me
that
some sort of operation is deferred. Ifound another posting via
groups.google.com,
but no response, so I´m stuck now.

detailed logs/config files are available if needed

ps: I noticed that although built and linked with/against berkeley db 4 the
slapd
according to ldd seems to be linked to berkeleydb4 as well as to gdbm,
although
I built with:
env CPPFLAGS="-I/path/to/db4/include" \
LDFLAGS="-L/path/to/db4/lib"\