Re: Extending the schema

I did some additional testing and it appears that I cannot extend the schema from my application.  Is there a way to mark the schema so that it can be edited or is it simply not extendable from an application?

I still need some answers to my other questions as well.

>>> "Tony Thompson" <tony.thompson@stone-ware.com> 06/06/02 10:49AM >>>
I have a few questions about extending the schema in OpenLDAP.

Can the schema be extended by my application?  I am currently using JNDI with Sun's LDAP provider to connect to LDAP directories and extend the schema.  The RootDSE in OpenLDAP appears to be missing the subschemaSubentry attribute so, I am guessing that I cannot do it from my application.

Does OpenLDAP provide an attribute syntax that is similar to Novell's Typed Name syntax (2.16.840.1.113719.1.1.5.1.25) or Microsoft's DN with Binary syntax (1.2.840.113556.1.4.903)?  Basically, I need a syntax that stores a DN and an integer.  I noticed that OpenLDAP supports a "Name and Optional UID" syntax.  Would this handle what I am looking for?

Since the RootDSE is missing the subschemaSubentry attribute, where is the schema stored and how can I look at it (with an LDAP browser, for example)?  My application also needs to be able to query the schema (via LDAP) to determine the syntax of various attributes, etc.

Thanks.
Tony