RE: web500gw

ld->ld_error can be retrieved directly using ldap_get_option() and
LDAP_OPT_ERROR_NUMBER. ld->ld_matched uses LDAP_OPT_MATCHED_DN. There
should be an option available for all of the fields defined in 1823.
These options aren't all in the draft API, the draft API is inadequate
in many areas. You just need to look at the source in libldap/options.c
to find what's usable.

  -- Howard Chu