Re: partial and fractional replication

Thanks Howard.  Of course, slapd writes the log and slurpd propagates
it...

More specifically, I would like to replicate not so much a branch of the
tree but rather to replicate only certain entries, based on some
filter.  For example, if a boolean attribute called "calendarUser" were
set to true, I would then replicate that entry from a master ldap server
to a calendar-specific child ldap server.  And, I would only want to
replicate a few select attributes over to the calendar-specific ldap
server, not all of them; that's what I mean by fractional replication,
which I think you indicated is possible in the current openldap.

But then I also want to be able to extend the schema on the
calendar-specific ldap server, and add on attributes particular to the
calendar application that are not part of the master ldap server.  So,
in this way, the calendar-specific ldap server would be a master (since
it would not refer me back to a master when I try an update) but in
another sense, it would function as a slave since it would receive some
replication from the master ldap.

I suppose I could maybe get around this issue by performing my
operations on the "child" ldap by binding as the replicateDN, and then I
would not get a referral back to the master when I add an attribute
specific to that child ldap.

Maybe I am making things to hard by trying to do something too far
afield from the way slapd/slurpd replication was designed to work.  Has
anyone else wanted to set up replication in this fashion and had
success, or I am trying to do things in too weird a way as far as slapd
and slurpd are concerned?

Thanks!

-steve