linking OpenLDAP binaries statically

good day gentlemen,

my client is in the process of moving its whole IT infrastructure to opensource.
for that purpose, we are integrating a messaging solution based on qmail and
OpenLDAP.

the trouble is that we can't seem to get OpenLDAP binaries linked statically.
the following commands:

LDFLAGS='-L/AIT/db/lib -L/AIT/openssl/lib -static'
CPPFLAGS='-I/AIT/db/include -I/AIT/openssl/include'
export LDFLAGS CPPFLAGS

./configure --prefix=/AIT/openldap \
            --enable-static        \
            --disable-shared

..don't work as expected here (with both OpenLDAP 2.0.21 and 2.0.23 on
Linux RedHat 7.2); the package builds, but we still end up with dynamically
linked binaries.

from what I can see from the OpenLDAP Software Mailing List archive,
someone (markwhitehouse@home.com) ran into the same problem
last november.  it seems however that no repsonse was posted on the
list at that time, and I wasn't able to contact Mark personnally.

did anybody have a chance to look at this ?

  best regards,
    -Olivier.