Re: Moving OpenLDAP 2.0.21 from one server to another...

The first thing I wanted to do when starting with OpenLDAP
was to put everything in one directory of my own choosing.
I'm not the only user on our machines and I don't like to
pollute everyone's environment with my tests.  I don't like
to be root unless I have to either, and on some machines I don't
know the password.

To compile OpenLDAP for use on a second machine or
in your corner of a shared machine use the "prefix" option of "configure" to
name a directory under which you want the product installed.  This
avoids putting any files in /usr/local etc. Then build as usual and transfer
the whole directory tree to the second machine.  Adjust your path,
libpath and manpath variables to reference your chosen directory and
put the right path names in slapd.conf.  All should be ok - as long as
the second machine has all the necessary run-time libraries.

This doesn't cover the transfer of an existing OpenLDAP database,
but I guess that's not too complicated.

Bonne chance,
Chris Nicol