corrupted database?

Hi,

yesterday I had a serious problem with my openldap database (I'm using Openldap-2.0.23.):

I inserted several new entries using an LDIF an the "import" function of Ldapbrowser. I could search these entries using ldapsearch or the Ldapbrowser without problems, but pam_ldap could not find these entries at all. I always got an "User xy doesn't exist" error. Deleting and re-adding these entries with ldapadd didn't change anything. Running slapindex had no effect. Even cleaning up the whole database didn't solve the problem. Finally I recompiled openldap and created a completely new database based on my old LDIF files. After that my database seems to be Ok again.

Can anybody tell my were these problems might come from? Only entries which were added with the import function of Ldapbrowser where concerned. Maybe it has something to do with indexes? (I have two eq indexes on objectclass and uid.)

Thank you for any little piece of support. Susanne